the timeline so far:
- 01 Jan 2011: started draft 1. Expected it to be 120,000 words
- 24 Aug 2011: finished draft 1. 235 days. 169,429 words. 720 words per day.
- break (130 days)
- 01 Jan 2012: started draft 2.
- 03 Aug 2012: finished draft 2. 215 days. 210,000 words. 976 words per day.
- 04 Aug 2012: started draft 3.
- 20 Dec 2012: finished draft 3. 139 days. 274,594 words. 1,975 words per day.
- break (87 days)
- 17 Mar 2013: started draft 4
- 29 May 2013: today. Draft is 22.3% done
As of right now the novels are at 291,266 words.
Some computed statistics:
- added 16,672 words so far in this draft
- … which means I expect to add 74,762 words total
- … which means that the novels should reach around 350,000 words
- i.e. somewhere between 1,000 and 1,400 pages
- At this rate, the expected completion date is around 27 December 2013
- At this rate, the expected project length is 273 days
- I’ve revising 1,282 words per day
Some color commentary:
My daily word rate has dropped a tad from draft 3, but draft 3 was an insane sprint when I thought that the end was in sight. It was also a sprint being performed on a noticeably shorter work.
Even though the break from Christmas to this spring felt like a long time, it wasn’t quite three months.
I’d really been hoping to finish up by 1 October so that I could launch a kickstarter mid-month and ship books for Christmas…but it’s not to be. This story is huger than I had any conception of, and it demands to be done well. The fourth draft needs to be done, and then there might even be a fifth draft.
Screw the “books ship by 31 December 2013” deadline.
I might not finish draft 5 of this thing until October of NEXT year.
Books ship by 31 December 2014. Yes. FOURTEEN.